I am delighted to announce the exciting new book UFOs: Reframing The Debate on White Crow Press – available in May 2017. The book is the brainchild of Silver Screen Saucers author, Robbie Graham. My own particular contribution is the somewhat playfully titled Almost Everything You Think You Know About Flying Saucers Is Wrong. More news to follow.
UFOs: Reframing The Debate
IF YOU LIKE YOUR UFO LITERATURE TO CONFIRM WHAT YOU ALREADY ‘KNOW,’ THIS IS NOT THE BOOK FOR YOU!
The UFO field has produced thousands of dedicated researchers over the years, and reams of literature; but to what end? What can we claim to know conclusively today about the underlying nature of UFO phenomena that we didn’t know in the late-1940s? UFO study has always suffered from major organizational and methodological problems. It has also become dangerously self-referential.
If ever we are to further our understanding of the UFO enigma, we must fundamentally reframe our debate. We must wipe the board clean and fill it with new ideas, new theories, even new language. We must be willing to start from scratch when the field stagnates. We must be critical, sober, and free of dogma—ready to rinse away the residue of our own beliefs.
UFOs: Reframing the Debate is a collection of original essays exploring alternative perspectives on UFOs and how we might more usefully study the phenomenon in the 21st Century. The book brings together some of the most progressive and iconoclastic thinkers in the field for an incisive deconstruction of current popular ideas. Critical but constructive, this challenging volume represents a range of differing (even conflicting) alternative viewpoints on UFOs and related phenomena.
UFOs: Reframing the Debate is a cold, hard, slap in the face for ‘UFOlogy,’ a call to break away from established ideas, approaches, and practices, and to boldly tread a new path in quest of understanding what may very well be the greatest mystery of all.
Featuring essays by:
- MJ Banias – Terra Obscura – Where Theory and High Strangeness Meet
- Greg Bishop – The Excluded Middle & Radio Misterioso – In-depth conversations on the paranormal alternating with weird music
- Robert Brandstetter – TEDxYouth@Mississuga (Video)
- Jack Brewer – The UFO Trail & The Greys Have Been Framed
- Mike Clelland – Hidden Experience & Mike Clelland.com
- Curt Collins – Blue Blurry Lines
- Lorin Cutts – High Strangeness Radio Show
- Susan Demeter-St. Clair – Out Of My Mind’s Eye – SusanStClair.com
- Micah Hanks – Micah Hanks.com & The Gralien Report – The Future Is Now
Chris Rutkowski – Ufology Research
- Foreword by Diana Walsh Pasulka – Professor and Chair of the Department of Philosophy and Religion, University of North Carolina & author of Heaven Can Wait from Oxford University Press
- Edited by Robbie Graham – Silver Screen Saucers: Sorting Fact from Fantasy in Hollywood’s UFO Movies
About Robbie Graham:
Robbie Graham has pursued the UFO mystery for more than half his life. He has lectured around the world on the subject and has been interviewed for the likes of the BBC, Coast to Coast AM, Canal+ TV, Channel 4, and Vanity Fair, among many others. His articles have appeared in numerous publications, including The Guardian, New Statesman, Filmfax, and Fortean Times. He holds first class degrees in Film, Television and Radio Studies (BA hons) and Cinema Studies (MA) from Staffordshire University and the University of Bristol respectively. He is the author of Silver Screen Saucers: Sorting Fact from Fantasy in Hollywood’s UFO Movies (White Crow Books, 2015).